Monday, 26 November 2012

99% Editing COMPLETE - 26/11/12

I have been spending all of last week completing the second draft of my music video so that in today's double media lesson I could show my media teacher again and see if there are any final improvements I may need to make. I spent the first half an hour just watching the video through again, and then tweaking some final pieces. After this, I then showed my media teacher the changes that I had made due to the feedback I received from him and another media student, and he was very impressed with how the changes I had made uplifted the music video in whole. We both could definitely notice the difference from my music video before to what it is now and I have definitely realised receiving feedback is so important. 

After showing him the video again, I asked if there were any other parts that may need improving before I export the final piece. He picked out 2 things in my video, one being a clip of the Tayla's feet panning up to her upper body, as he believed that shot was too wobbly and lowered the quality. He also believed that the last minute of my music video was too heavy on the narrative, and picked out that I didn't show the artist at all for over 1 minute. Of course, this is very bad for the promotional side of the music video as at the end of the day the music video is supposed to be promoting the artist, and if he isn't shown in it much compared to the actors, the audience are likely to forget about him. Taking both of these considerations on board, I spent the rest of the double lesson fixing these. 


This was the clip that my media teacher believed to be extremely shaky, and looking over it now with this thought in my mind I can agree with him. The reason for the shakiness of the camera would be my fault as in order for me to complete this type of angle and camera effect, I had to film it free hand without the use of the tripod. Nevertheless, I played around with some of the effects and filters for the clips and came across the same 'Strobe' effect that I had used at the beginning of the video for the same clip, but of Ted's feet. 

Adding the effect to this clip, it makes it shakier anyway but this time the natural shakiness of the camera is masked by this jolting effect. I am not entirely sure whether it's a good idea to use the same effect twice for very similar clips, so I did spend quite a while looking for others, although I found that this was the most effective. I also spent time trying to slow down the clip so the shakiness was reduced, but the only problem with that is that if I slowed it down too much the camera only reached her knees by the time the sequence changed to the next clip. I am hoping to show my media teacher this effect during this week to get his thoughts on it, but hopefully it will be approved. I will also take this opportunity to ask the non-media student that views my video to give feedback on whether they think this is an appropriate effect, and whether they noticed it was the same effect as the one at the beginning. 

After this, I then went onto looking at ways that I could include the main artist in the ending of the music video a bit more. At first this was quite difficult because I already had planned out the scenes, and in terms of the narrative, I didn't want to remove any in case they ruined it. However, I realised that the effect of me cross dissolving the empty chair/bench scenes into black and white to symbolise the end and the past could be a good opportunity for me to include another scene of Ted. As I didn't want to alter the timing in any way, I instead sped up a few of the previous scenes and then during the last lyric before the last chorus which sings "Don't let them change ya", I would add a scene of Ted also dissolving to black and white. 



In my original script, I was going to have Ted fading out of the chairs, although I changed my mind as I realised black and white was more interesting and new. The clip above is the one that I have fitted into this section of my music video, and it actually begins like this (with the added colour correction effect) and then dissolves into the Desaturate effect to make it black and white. I think this is very good in rounding up the loose ends of the narrative, and reminds the audience that even though this music video is very narrative heavy, the music artist is still involved and is still important.

I think that yet again the feedback I received was very helpful, but I was very glad to hear all of my efforts of last week have been paid off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment