As promised, all of the chairs that were set up before were removed so the hall space was able to be used. This meant straight away I set up the chair design that I had previously used for the crowd scenes, making sure it was exactly the same so continuity wasn't disrupted. To make sure this happened, I looked back at previous footage to make sure the seats were in the right place and there was enough of them. After I had done this, I then had to set up the white screen that Mr. Biswell had given me permission to use. The white screen was in fact just a white sheet that hung on the back of the stage just in front of the black wall. The sheet itself was quite transparent which meant the objects that were behind it were visible on the camera through the sheet. This meant I had to quickly get a performing arts teacher to move all of the equipment away from behind the sheet so there was nothing visible that the audience might see, as I knew this would distract attention. The still below shows the white screen that I was using for this:
As you can see from this picture, the brightness of the white sheet wasn't exactly as perfect as I had hoped, but judging that I had already scouted the school for another room or place to film these scenes on, I knew this was as good as it was going to get. The performing arts teacher also suggested to me that I could use the green screen positioned in the performing arts studio, although after looking at the area that it was placed in, it would have taken over an hour to move all of the equipment and clear the space enough for me to get the camera in.
Before I actually started filming the white scenes, I gave Ted a brief of what I wanted from him and I didn't know what to expect myself as this was the first time he had acted for my music video. To help him with the miming of the track, I also played the song in the background a few times so he could get the feel of the tune.
The shots that I wanted from the white scenes were actually quite complicated as I am planning on doing a variety of editing to fit them altogether - montages, fast cuts, fades, etc.
Here are 3 shots that I plan on quickly fading into one another:
Some of the shots I took of Ted I was at first unhappy with as the angle in which I had him in made his head be slightly cut out from the shot, though after looking over them I think it actually makes the shot a lot better as his lips and the lyrics are paid more attention to and the lyrics are a very important aspect of my music video.
After I had completed all of the filming with Ted, it was then Tayla's turn to complete the filming that her and Ted have together and then her individual dancing. I think Ted and Tayla worked well together for the scenes that I wanted completed, and here a good shot that I took.
After this, I allowed Ted to leave as I understood he had another commitment after school that it was important to get to. I then focussed on the rest of Tayla's scenes, as well as some help from our friend Rhiannon for one of the scenes that we needed to shoot. Tayla's scenes involved some on the stage behind the curtain in quite dark lighting, and then the other in the bright lights of the main hall space. The scenes behind the stage were intended to be quite dark as I understood obviously the curtain would take away most of the natural light, although I underestimated just how dark it actually was. However, I think that the contrast between the darkness of the stage scenes to the lightness of the main hall space can be used to show the nerves and feelings that Tayla's character would be feeling before performing. The same thing happened when I was shooting Chris' scenes outside the school gym as it was also quite dark there.
Here are the outside scenes for both characters before they went onto perform:
Comparing to last year
I think that when I am editing these scenes, I will have to be careful to make sure continuity is kept up and none of the scenes show any characters of objects out of position because I know the filming of these main scenes went on for over a week which is a consequence of using an area which is open to other people. Last year, the settings that we chose were quite private or only involved a few characters in which meant we were able to film all of the scenes in that setting all at once. I think if I were to shoot this music video again, I might re-consider the scenes and plan way ahead of what I did for times and dates in which all of my actors are free. This way the continuity and any other editing issues would be kept to a minimum.
On Thursday 25th, I also briefly filmed some scenes during our school lunchtime which involved the crowd I needed for Chris' basketball scenes. This all went according to plan and I managed to get a variety of people that were different from the ones for Tayla'as crowd which is important for continuity as well.
Here is one of the scenes that I shot for this:

No comments:
Post a Comment