Saturday, 10 November 2012

Editing Part 2 - 10/11/12

On Friday 9th after school, I spent around 2 hours continuing with the editing process. At the moment, it's getting quite exciting putting all of the clips together as I am around half way through completion. After school yesterday I was completing my second main montage in the whole music video, which is the montage of Ted to the lyrics 'can't control'. The inspiration for this originally came from the music video "Outta My Mind" by B.O.B and Nicki Minaj, as that video is all about losing control and I was inspired by the camera angles and jump cuts to do the same for mine. Below shows the music video that I am talking about:




The first part can be seen at around the 0.09 mark where the camera is in and out of focus quite quickly. Other use of this effect are shown all throughout the music video, as well as the use of different angles all put together. The cuts are also quite quick, known as the 'jump cut', to pick up the pace and work appropriately with the rhythm of the song. 

The same technique can be used for the song that I have chosen, and even though it isn't as perfect as the lyrics for this song, the lyrics 'Can't control' are exemplified by the use of Ted completing the following actions:

(These are the multiple clips that I filmed with him at Dunstable Downs for this specific part)





Putting all of the four videos together was quite simple, and to get the jump cut effect I shortened them down to 0.00.11 milliseconds each so they literally flash with the rhythm of the song during this part. I played around with a few of the effects such as the blink which is what I used for the beginning of the music video, and some other ones, but I didn't like them and preferred just a montage of shortened clips. 


As 4 x 0.00.11 milliseconds is obviously not enough to fill the 4/5 second gap, I had to cut and the clips and use different parts of all of them so it carried on for around 4/5 seconds, but I wasn't using the same 11 milliseconds as before. Even though this took a while for me to understand how to do this and continue doing it for the 4 different clips, eventually I finished it and was able to move on.

The next clip that comes after it is the clip where Ted reaches into the sky and the sky of Dunstable Downs fades into the sky of St. Albans Park to show a change in time. However, I did have struggle with finding out how to do this and I spent quite a while trying different things with the clips. I had never before faded a clip into another clip without it fading to black first, so I tried the usual transitions such as Cross Fade, Cross Dissolve, Fade In and Fade Out - but neither of them were able to fade the video into the other one. After spending a long time trying to figure out how to do this, and researching the internet for ways to do this, I decided I would be best off if I saved this question for my media teacher on Monday's lesson, and if he doesn't know how to do it then I will go onto researching again myself. 
The rest of my music video does involve lots of videos fading into other videos so I hope that it's possible for me to do this, although if worse comes to worse I'm sure I'll find a way around the fading to black first. 

Other than the final problem, I managed to put together quite a bit of film on Friday in those two hours, and my next chance to continue will be in Monday's double lesson. 

No comments:

Post a Comment