Sunday, 23 September 2012

Final Decisions 23/9/12

Over the past week I have been completing pieces of work to help me form my final decision of which genre I will pick and what song I have chosen. As stated in my previous blog, I have decided on the R&B genre for the reasons that I find it to have the most exciting and appealing music videos, and my own personal interest in the type of genre too. Once I had decided on the genre, it was then my turn to choose a song from the never ending list of great R&B songs. I have known for a while that I wanted to create a sporting themed, inspirational music video, which means I have been listening out on the radio or on the music channels for a song that might fit my idea. The past week I had no luck in finding a song that may be ideal, but a few days ago I heard a song that had kept being repeated on the radio which was "Wonderful" by Angel. I had also previously seen the video on a music channel, but thought nothing of it as the music video itself wasn't anything from the ordinary. However, by hearing it on the radio and actually listening to the lyrics of the song without the audio, I was able to fit it with the images that were flowing through my head of what I wanted to create.

Here is the video of "Wonderful" by Angel:



Personally, I don't find anything remotely interesting about the narrative of the video itself, and therefore this meant it would be a good idea to use this song as I wouldn't be influenced to copy anything. Over the weekend, I have been playing the song a lot and I already have scenes created in my head to go along with parts of the song - including some of the features I liked from the music videos I analysed in the previous post.
I think, in general, the song has a very positive feel to it and the beat is very motivating and passionate, which is exactly what I am looking for. Also, there are some parts of the song itself that are much slower than the chorus, for example, which helps the narrative that I want to produce of believing in yourself and inspiring to be better. The lyrics of the song are also very appropriate for my ideas, as it talks about finding something that's 'wonderful' and 'beautiful' - and that is the idea that I want the audience watching to think of the narratives I include. I think with this song I can create a successful music video, incorporating all of the sporting scenes and inspirational motives that I want to. 
At this point, all of my ideas for scenes, props, settings, etc, are not confirmed but will be my starting point for next weeks action plan. I am excited to have finally chosen a song and am confident that this is the right one for me!

Here are the plans of what I  have decided so far on Week 2:

Genre: R&B.
Themes: Sports, Motivation, Inspiration.
Primary Audience: Teenagers and Young Adults (14-25years) - by using characters/actors in this age group.
Secondary Audience: Children and Older Adults (10-40years).

Song: "Wonderful" by Angel.

Why have I done this?
It was important for me to do all of the research before picking a song, otherwise I wouldn't have known what genre was best for the ideas that I had. I am happy that I have picked a song that has so much potential for a better music video, and am glad that I am not influenced in any way by the music video's narrative that has already been created for this song. Next week will be all about condensing my ideas, now that I have a song to work with, and finding out a bit more about the song itself and how it could relate to the sporting theme. 

SOURCES
1. www.youtube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment