Sunday, 23 September 2012

My Product Mood Board 23/9/12

When I was analysing the different genres, I used my own creativity by choosing 4-5 of the mainstream magazines (e.g. Heat, Closer, etc), cut out images that represented the individual genre's and put them together to create a mood board. The reason for me doing this was to see if my own interpretation of the genre was the same the actual definition and codes&conventions of it. I also did it to see what the most common genre's were featured in the most popular magazines, which evidently I found out were R&B and Rock, and the least being Jazz music. As I need to choose a genre myself, before I made my final decision I thought it would be a good idea to get some more magazines and create my own individual mood board - with images that represent the type of message I want to create.

I had a lot of help from all of the previous work I did on genre research, history of music videos and the analysing of music videos from different genres, which all helped me form an idea of the type of theme I want to be recurring and repetitive in my music video. Last week, I already made it quite clear that I want to produce a music video that leaves the audience thinking or feeling something and has a strong message for the audience to see. Using this previous thought, I then came to the idea of making a video that's inspiring to people and leaves them thinking about their own lives, as I know this means my music video can affect a whole generation of people. To condense my ideas, I produced my own mood board of images, which is shown below:
My Project Mood Board

After doing this, a lot of ideas flew into my head about the theme of my actual music video itself, and I have decided that I am going to go down the path of creating a sport themed, inspirational video - something that after the audience has watched it, it will make them think about something or give them the motivation to do something better. I think this is quite an appropriate music video for the time and year as we have just experienced the London 2012 Olympic Games, which was definitely an inspirational moment of time and something that will be recorded in history for bringing all of Britain together. I want to prolong the 'Olympic Fever' and use it in my own music video as a way of not only encouraging others to participate in sport and be as good as Olympic athletes, but also to follow their dreams and do what they think is right.

In order for me to process this idea of mine, I needed to choose to look at some of the sporting theme songs over the past few years that has sponsored events such as the FIFA World Cup for football. The songs and music videos I have looked at are: 

"Wavin Flag" by K'NAAN, Will.i.am and David Guetta - one of the FIFA World Cup songs of 2010.





This is the actual video produced by the artists, which doesn't feature any relation to the World Cup it is used for. However, the video below is Coca Cola's Mix which features the World Cup themes and sporting scenes. 




When I created my own music video, I want to be able to feature both scenes of the artist/band as well as sporting scenes (like the music video above). What I liked about the last video was the connection between the scenes and the song itself, so when lyrics such as 'wave your flag' were sung, there were scenes of children/families from third world countries waving their hands in sync. Similarly, I think this produces the inspirational theme I am looking for as, because at this time the song was created the World Cup was held in South Africa (a third world country), so it features children and families living in poor conditions in Africa and showing how sport has helped them come together and find something to be happy about.
After watching this video I feel sympathy towards the conditions that the children and adults were living in, but seeing how happy they looked playing football or waving their hands in sync to the song makes me happy too. This is the kind of close relation I want between my music video and the audience.

I then looked at "Anywhere in the World" by Mark Ronson and Katy B - which was one of the Olympic 2012 songs, again produced by Coca Cola. Here is the music video below:




What really stood out to me was not only the fact this song was produced by the sounds of Olympic athletes participating in their sport, but the involvement of them in the video. Seeing professional athletes perform what they are great at to music that represents the whole Olympic fever just creates an overwhelming feeling of emotion and makes you proud to watch them. However, it doesn't just feature the athletes, but also promotes the artists, London and the fans and supporters of the different nations as well, which makes the Olympics more exciting and again makes you proud to be around in a generation of such sporting supporters. 


Why have I done this?
Both of these music videos feature the aspects that I put into my own mood board,and it was a good chance for me to see some of the music videos that already include sporting themes. From this, I can take the confidence that my music video will work, and now look into finding some general inspirational music videos, analysing them and working out their USP's and what makes them work as a whole. 

SOURCES
1. www.youtube.com
2. www.scribd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment