Wednesday, 10 October 2012

The Script - 10/10/12

One of the main action plans for this week was to finally put all my ideas together and produce a script for my music video. To help me do this properly, I had previously got my target audience to complete some questionnaires so I could use their wants and needs to help me form my script. Some of the key points I knew I had to include that my target audience specifically suggested were to keep the narrative simple, but have some complex and interesting parts to it to keep the audience involved. Also, they suggested that the overall narrative was the most important and SFX was the least, so I had to make sure I focussed on the storyline rather than any special effects.

Here is the finalised script that I produced last night:


I am very happy with this script, as it involves lots of different locations, props and a very appealing narrative that I think my audience will enjoy. 

Overall Plot
My music video involves two narratives - one of that of an aspiring dancer, and one of an enthusiastic basketball player. At the beginning of my music video, both of these people will be shown wearing usual clothes in a casual setting (e.g. Tayla walking her dog in the park, Chris hanging out with friends). I chose this to happen at the beginning because these are quite common things for my target audience to take part in and therefore as soon as my music video begins they will understand and be able to relate to the characters. The music video then goes onto them performing their chosen sports/hobbies in those casual places, at first just for fun and then hopefully admiring the fact that they are really passionate about these sports and they understand the pressure they are both facing for their upcoming matches/performances. What happens next is it moves forward in time briefly to the moment right before they perform their sports at a very important event - a basketball competition and a major dance show. Both characters are shown to be exceedingly nervous, but ready to fight for what they like. As they prepare and just moments before they begin to perform again, the main artist is shown interlinked with their narratives (in the background of some of their shots, and also as the only supporter at both settings). 
The reason for this is to show how both of the teenagers feel like they are alone in this and that they have no support/are scared to perform how they want to. The main artist then acts as their guide to help them gain the confidence they need to actually perform. I then scripted for the dance performance and basketball match to begin after exchanging a salute and smile to the main artist, and then some flashbacks from the past appear. These flashbacks are of the times when these people are playing their sports just casually in the settings they were shown before, to add a sense of background and to show how far they have come. Obviously, the music video ends on a happy ending where both of the characters have achieved what they wanted to, and suddenly a large cast of supporters and spectators appear on the seats around them. In their place, the main artist is shown to disappear whilst the others support them so the ideology is that the main artist has done his job to guide them to their place (therefore becoming the role of a guardian angel). 

There are lots of metaphors and deeper meanings in my music video script and I want for the narrative of both characters trying to achieve their goals to be simple, but I want a more complex storyline to be adapted into it too. The more complex storyline would be that of having a guardian angel (which is their own imagination  to protect them right up until they prove themselves worthy and gain confidence - the point in which the rest of the crowd and spectators become obvious to them and they are back to normal.

All in all, my music video follows the 2 lives of teenagers who lack confidence and experience in their dreams, yet are able to conquer them at the end with a bit of hard work and belief.

As well as the narratives of both of these characters being shown, there will be individual shots of the main artist himself, played by Ted, who will be featured in settings with lots of scenery and that is high above the ground - thus giving the sense he is the characters' guardian angels. 

I spent a lot of time structuring and carefully crafting my script so I can fit all of these ideas and storylines into it, without complicating it too much, and now I am excited to start filming next week. Tomorrow, I plan to print out a copy of my script to all of the actors in my music video so they have a copy and can run through what is expected of them, and then I will confer in detail what days they are available as I understand they all have school and work commitments too.

SOURCES:
1. www.scribd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment